Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Bask

The anaconda, it's revealed, can shorten its period of gestation by as much as 100 days just by basking in the sun.

Nothing furthers the unborn snake as much as just lazing around.

I learned this from television. I may have to reconsider television. It may be that the medium has been redeemed. I've always loathed television as a pathetic waste of the human life. As for myself, I've been ceaselessly diligent. I make a schedule and keep it; I am strict with myself.

And I’ve accomplished nothing. Filled out index cards on 4000 unrelated subjects. Nothing completed. Nothing has turned out.

To think of how many years I've wasted being diligent!

Never once did I imagine that dreaming might be the best advance.

The clue may be in the verb—to bask. Not to fritter or to putts, no anxious finger-tapping: bask.

One hundred-forty-four baby snakes: curled around each other, growing silently within. The snake must do what the snake must do; the Sun must do what the Sun must do. Inside the snakes grow in warmth and stillness. Do not interfere.

( Bangkok , 01.26.07)

No comments: